Often in the flowershop we are asked the same question over and over-Which flower will last the longest? Hands down, one of the most beautiful varieties, paired with a long vase life is the Alstroemeria. Pronounced all-stro-mer-ee-uh, also known as a Peruvian lily. They are available in a rainbow of colors. What makes this variety unique are the multiple blooms (typically 3-7 blooms per stem) and foliage located at the top of the stem. It is not necessary to buy extra greenery to fill a vase-these are wonderful as a mono botanical arrangement, meaning “one flower type”.
Care and Handling:
- After choosing your selection of Alstroemeria, the lower stem foliage will need to be removed, only remove the foliage which will be submersed below water levels.
- Fill a vase with water and add the fresh floral food packet. The importance of the food packet is to balance the pH levels, fight bacteria, and also serve as a food source to keep your blooms alive longer.
- Refresh the water every few days with a fresh cut to the stems, the blooms can last weeks!
- Keep flowers away from any sources of ethylene, such as fruit. Ethylene is often used to ripen certain fruits and decrease the lifespan of your blooms.
- Handling this flower can cause skin inflammation in some people
- Wearing gloves is advised when working with this variety
- Alstroemeria is a flower that has no fragrance
- This flower is symbolic of wealth, prosperity, and fortune. Also known as the friendship flower.